Sunday 4 November 2012

Public Biscuits and biscuit etiquette

Hi there biscuit lovers!

  So I was recently away for a couple of days with my university group for a production we'll be doing in december at Gregynog. Aside from feeding us a huge number of times (breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner - all very tasty ) I had tried to control my biscuit addiction, and taken minimal stocks of my faithful tasty snacks. With me I had taken 9 gingernuts. And although I'm not going to be reviewing biscuits in this post, I'll still put some pictures up


However in the morning, we discovered that elevenses (for my American pals who may not know, elevenses is a snack-sized meal served in the mid morning) we were confronted with a VAST tray of biscuits. I could hardly believe my eyes! (I think a picture was taken of me with the tray of many biscuits and as soon as I know who took it, I'll ask them if I can post it on here)

But then I was faced with two very complicated questions. Which biscuits to choose, and also how many was it polite to take at a time? I had thought that the answer to the second question was obvious- No more than three at any time. You can go back for more if you have had more than half of your hot beverage, whether tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. However, whilst my friends mainly seemed to stick to these vague, unspoken rules, I had seen some carrying MORE THAN THREE BISCUITS AT A TIME. I was stunned. How was this possible? Was I being unreasonable? Was the etiquette different here?? WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? Eventually we chatted about it and decided that we would leave it to the blog readers to decide- 

How many biscuits is it polite to take when offered? Let me know in the comments! I mean, its all very well and good to take a bzillion biscuits when you're on your own in your room contemplating the title of your next best selling novel, but when they're biscuits you are being offered, it can be quite a conundrum! 

To summarize my version of public biscuit etiquette -
- no more than three biscuits at a time
- always have more than one type
- always get to the chocolatey ones before someone else does
- seconds is allowed after half a beverage, no sooner. 


Thanks, biscuit lovers

R
x


p.s. For those interested, the biscuits I chose were the faithful bourbon, the fruit shortie, and the double choc-chip cookie. Gregynog had a splendidly wide variety of choice. Top marks, Gregynog!


  







2 comments:

  1. Perhaps they were taking extra biscuits to save for St Matthew's meal. I notice you did not include it in the frequent eating times you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo657n01ZK1qg6fc4o1_400.gif

    ReplyDelete

Which biscuit is the best?